Independent UK court-case reporting Publicly available sources · Not a government website
Darren Morris, aged 54, from Yate, South Gloucestershire — case image

AVON AND SOMERSET POLICE · view source

Verified against listed sources Assault, GBH & woundingCriminal damage & arsonDomestic abuse & coercive control

Darren Morris

Age 54 · Yate, South Gloucestershire

Court outcomeTwo years and eight months in prison

Case and court outcome

Court
Bristol Crown Court
Plea
Guilty to intentional strangulation, assault causing actual bodily harm, battery and three counts of criminal damage
Verdict
Guilty to intentional strangulation, assault causing actual bodily harm, battery and three counts of criminal damage
Outcome date
May 28, 2026
Sentence type
Immediate custody

Offence details

Incident area
Near Yate, South Gloucestershire
Offence period
February to 16 March 2026
Offence end date
March 16, 2026

Verified case summary

Attacks near Yate

Darren Morris, 54, had been staying at a property near Yate in South Gloucestershire with a woman known to him.

On 16 March 2026, after the woman challenged him about another matter, Morris struck her, bit her finger, gouged at her eyes, strangled her, punched her and pulled her hair.

Police said he then smashed nine windows at the property and damaged two cars.

Earlier assault and injuries

The court also heard that Morris had assaulted the same woman during February 2026 and destroyed household items after she asked him to leave.

The victim sustained facial swelling, black eyes, bite wounds and continuing knee pain and received hospital treatment for some of her injuries.

Morris pleaded guilty to intentional strangulation, assault causing actual bodily harm, battery and three counts of criminal damage.

The separate criminal-damage counts reflected damage to the house, vehicles and property described during the proceedings.

Bristol Crown Court sentence

Bristol Crown Court sentenced Morris on 28 May 2026 to two years and eight months in prison.

Avon and Somerset Police published the result on 3 June and said the court had considered the harm caused by the attacks and the victim's evidence.

The force identified intentional strangulation as an indicator of heightened risk of serious harm and said specialist investigators supported the case.

The officer in the case also credited the victim's decision to come forward with making the prosecution possible.

The record separates the two-month offence period, the precise March incident date, the guilty pleas, court and sentencing date.

The official source does not report a restraining order or extended licence, so neither is recorded here.